Monday, November 23, 2009

CAQDAS

Ok, so I attempted to download a demo version of Qualrus, but it was nearly impossible to figure out (the demo version was just not very good). So I decided to instead look at Atlas since it seemed to be the most comprehensive. ATLAS has just released a brand new version, so it has been thoroughly updated since the Koening article. ATLAS seems to be very supportive of all types of media and document files, and it can also handle large amounts of data. To be perfectly honest, when I was looking at all the different features, I wasn't sure what exactly I was looking at because I am clueless to some of the technical jargon. I am also so early in the doc program that interviewing, transcribing, and coding data are not things I am well versed in, but I do know that I want something easy and convenient to use and a low price tag and free upgrades would be nice bonuses. ATLAS appears to hold many of these things. Plus ATLAS gives a significant student discount ($120 down from $1800!) which is huge for poor grad kids like us. I also liked the feature of being able to code video clips for things like gestures and analyzing text for "hidden" meanings (looking at handwriting for example).

I would like to learn more about this program, and hopefully be able to use it in the future once I have a better grasp of what exactly I meant use it for.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard Atlas is a good one for mac users. You don't have to know what you'll choose now, as long as you have something in your mind when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete